National Chocolate Covered Day is Friday so I've made Chocolate Covered Snow Peaks (that did not really turn out like peaks, but oh well). This is part two of two for the day! Recipe taken from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chocolate-covered-snow-peaks-recipe2/index.html
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
1)Preheat oven to 225 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3) Add the cream of tartar and turn speed up to medium, beating until just fluffy.
4) Add the sugar gradually, so it incorporates into the whites slowly without collapsing them.
And then....my mixer broke. And I gave up on mixing as it was taking forever by hand.
6) Place meringue mixture into a piping bag with a medium-sized nozzle attached. (don't have that...)
8) Bake for 1 hour undisturbed then turn off heat and leave in the oven overnight to really dry out. (I left them for 3 hours in the oven after turning it off)
9) Melt chocolate over a double-boiler or in the microwave on medium power for 30 seconds.
11) Allow to set at room temperature - do not put in the fridge.
12) Once set, store in an airtight container.