- Spray oil
- 2 x 400 g (13 oz) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 TBSP chopped basil
- 2 aubergines (eggplants)
- 250 g (8 oz) soft goats' cheese, sliced or crumbled
- 50 g (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and black pepper
2) Put the tomatoes, garlic, half the oil, sugar, basil and salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until reduced and thickened.
4) Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6
5) Cut each aubergine lengthways into 6 thin slices.
6) Season the remaining oil with salt and pepper.
7) Brush the aubergine slices with the seasoned oil (I used my hand).
8) Cook under a preheated hot grill for 3-4 minutes. (I did this while the oven was sill pre-heating)
9) Remove and flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
10) Arrange one-third of the aubergine slices, overlapping them slightly, in the base of the prepared dish.
11) Add one-third of the tomato sauce.
12) Add one-third of the goats' cheese and Parmesan cheese.
13) Repeat these layers, finishing with the 2 cheeses.
14) Bake for 30 minutes.